Pages

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Cafe Rio Sweet Pork Enchiladas


When Tim and I got married we registered for these super sharp, cuts through metal knives from William-Sonoma along with a bunch of other expensive cookware.  I'm not sure why I wanted this stuff considering I didn't even know how to cook.  I sense that Tim is a bit nervous when I'm in the kitchen using those knives.  One time he told me that I should take a "Knife Safety Class".  He was totally serious.  Is there such a thing?  I wouldn't know because I never looked into it and now I've had to get stitches in two different fingers.  I try to be careful but some people (me) are just prone to these type of accidents.


That being said, I try to minimize the amount of cooking that I have to do.  This recipe is great because it makes 10 or 11 HUGE enchiladas which means we have left overs for 2 or 3 days!  I have to thank my friend, Jenna, for introducing me to Cafe Rio.  It has fed my family well.




Crock Pot Ingredients:
  • 3 lbs pork tenderloin (have the butcher remove the silver skin)
  • 1 can of Coke (we don't drink soda so I bought the cheapest can of cola and it worked just fine)
  • ½ cup sugar
  • 3-4 chopped bell peppers
  • 1 chopped onion
  • 7 oz can chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
  • 1 tsp dry ground mustard
  • 1 tsp cumin
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
Black Beans and Rice Ingredients:
  • 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 can corn, drained and rinsed (Tim added this at the last minute)
  • 2 cups long grain white rice
  • ½ bunch cilantro (I didn't have any so we just left it out)
  • 1 lime
Other Ingredients:
  • ½ cup shredded Mexican cheese
  • 1 can La Victoria Green Chile Enchilada Sauce
  • 10 flour tortillas
Instructions:
  • Remove the chilies from adobo sauce and empty sauce into crock pot.  My trick is to use the soda to wash the sauce from the chilies into the crock pot, then wash out the can with the remaining soda.  That way you get all the adobo sauce.  Also, if you want your enchiladas to be a bit spicy, dice up a tablespoon or two of the chilies and add it to the crock pot.
  • Add the remaining Crock Pot Ingredients above to the crock pot, putting the meat in last.
  • Cook for 4-6 hours on high or 7-9 hours on low.

  • Pull the meat apart using 2 forks and let it cook in the sauce for the last hour.
  • Make your rice according the package instructions.  Add the cilantro to the rice while still cooking and squeeze fresh lime juice over rice, then mix lightly.
  • Once the meat is done cooking, preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray 2 9x13 inch pans with Pam.
  • Remove the contents of the crock pot with tongs and place in a dish, draining the liquid into the crock pot.
  • Splash a bit of water on each tortilla, stack them on top each other and wrap them in a damp paper towel.  Microwave the tortillas for about 1 minute.  This will make them easier to wrap.
  • Fill the tortilla shells with rice, meat, corn and beans and cheese.
  • Close the tortilla shell by folding in both ends to seal and place in baking dish with fold side down.  Tim is our semi-professional enchilada wrapper.  Here's his demo:



Beautiful!

  • Use a spoon to cover with green chile enchilada sauce (not too much or the tortilla will be soggy) and cheese.  
  • Bake for 20 minutes.
  • To save the leftovers, cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and foil and refrigerate.
These things are huge!  One easily fills me up, but chips and salsa is a good side to put with it.


Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...