Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Chocolate Covered Peppermint Ritz

Happy New Year!  It's taken me a while to get back into my blogging routine, but I'm back now.  We had a nice, quiet Christmas this year.  With Clara still being so young, I was apprehensive about having her around lots of people so we cut back on some of our activities this year.  It was very relaxing.

Have you discovered the Limited Edition Fudge Covered Ritz?

They are one of my FAVORITE holiday treats.  I think I bought 6 boxes this year.  They're only offered at Christmastime so get them while the gettin's good!

I feel a little bit guilty enjoying all these Christmas treats when Sidney, my 2 year old, cannot eat any of it.  She loves Ritz so I decided to try to make her a dairy-free version of Fudge Covered Ritz.  


I used Baker's Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate Square (Note: They are made on equipment that processes milk. I think next time I will use a different chocolate).  I also crushed some candy canes to sprinkle on top.


The easiest way to crush candy canes is to peel off the wrapper, cover the candy cane in a paper towel and hammer away.

I chopped up the chocolate squares and melted them in the microwave.  Then I dipped them in the chocolate using small tongs.  While holding the Ritz with the tongs, I used the back of a spoon to smooth out and remove the excess chocolate.  Then I placed them on a parchment paper covered baking sheet.  


If you want to add peppermint, do so before the chocolate dries.  I did some with peppermint and some without.

When you're done, pop them in the freezer to harden and they'll slide right off the parchment paper.  I stored mine in the fridge in Tupperware between pieces of parchment paper.

They don't taste exactly like Fudge Covered Ritz, but I really enjoyed them, especially the ones with peppermint.  Sidney, on the other hand, did not like them.  She asked if she could just have a Sociable cracker instead!  I swear, every time I go to the trouble of making a Sidney-friendly treat everyone enjoys it except Sidney.  Oh well!

Happy 2013!

Pin It

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...