Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Chocolate Toffee Cake

I baked a cake for Sidney's birthday that she couldn't eat.  In my defense, I asked her if she wanted her "Sidney Cupcakes" for her birthday and she said "No, I want 'Sidney Ice Cream' and a 'Sidney Cookie'!"  Sidney Ice Cream is Purely Decadent Dairy Free Chocolate Obsession Ice Cream.
And Sidney Cookies are the vegan chocolate chip cookies the Whole Foods bakes daily.  Yum!

The rest of us enjoyed this delicious goodness:

I first discovered this cake when my friend, Yen, made it for me and my family along with a delicious dinner after Sidney was born.  Yen called it "Better Than XXX Cake".  It lived up to it's name!  When I made it last month for the Teacher Appreciation Luncheon during Catholic Schools Week at Ava's school I called it "Chocolate Toffee Cake".  Apprope.

This cake is great because not only is it super tasty and a crowd pleaser, the best part is you cannot screw it up!  You dump so much sweetened condensed milk and caramel on the cake that it can't help but be delicious.  Here's how you make it.

Ingredients:
1 pkg. of devil's food or dark chocolate cake mix
Cake mix ingredients
1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk 
1 (8-10 oz) jar caramel topping
1 container of Cool Whip, thawed
4 Heath candy bars, chopped (Skor bars or Nestle's Heath bits will also work)

Instructions:
1.  Bake cake in a 9x13 pan according to package directions.  

2.  As soon as the cake comes out of the oven, poke holes all over it with a fork or the handle of a wooden spoon.

3.  Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over the cake, followed by caramel sauce (microwaved about one minute until warm and easily pourable - I use only about 10 oz of the jar).

4.  Cover and refrigerate overnight.  Shortly before serving, spread whipped topping over cake and sprinkle with chopped Heath bars pieces.  I had some helpers for this last part!


Nice work ladies!

Even though Sidney couldn't eat the cake, she very much enjoyed blowing out her candles!

And then she enjoyed her own birthday treat - Triple Double Oreos from Papa Reeves dunked in Sidney Ice Cream!
Love that sweet chocolate face!

Be sure to check back to see pictures from Ava and Sidney's Puppy and Kitty birthday party!

Pin It

2 comments:

Yen said...

That Yen...she is something else. Best cake rename that I could think of for the original was "Better than Homework Cake" but then again, anything is better than hw! Guess I'll take your renaming of it. :) I should send along a few other recipes for you to try when I get a chance...healthier ones cause swimsuit season is right around the corner (we hope in MN)!

Cathy said...

Ha!! Yes please, send me more of your faves! I'm always looking for new recipes.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...